Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce Recipe » Classic Pasta Pomodoro
If you are looking for a delicious tomato sauce for your pasta or Chicken parmesan, then look no further then this Pomodoro Sauce Recipe that comes together in under 45 minutes.
Ingredients for this recipe:
• 5 pounds or of peeled fresh tomatoes or 3 28-ounce cans of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• ½ peeled and finely minced/grated yellow onion
• 4 finely minced/grated garlic cloves
• 12-15 fresh basil leaves
• sea salt and pepper to taste
• cooked pasta
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1. Add the tomatoes to a blender or a food mill and blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. Add the olive oil to a large pot over low heat and add in the onions and garlic and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
3. Pour in the pureed tomatoes and stew over low to medium heat for 30 minutes. SEE NOTE.
4. Finish by stirring in basil, salt and pepper.
5. Toss with pasta and parmesan cheese or serve with any other dish.
• Just like any good sauce, it gets better with time, so if you’ve got it let this pomodoro simmer for a few hours to help concentrate those rich tomato flavors.
• You can use fresh peeled tomatoes, which you can learn how to prepare in my steak pizzaiola recipe, or canned San Marzano tomatoes.
• REHEATING POMODORO SAUCE: Simply add the sauce to a medium size pot and cook over low heat until hot. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
• STORING AND FREEZING: Store the pomodoro sauce chilled and covered in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Pomodoro sauce freezes well and will hold in the freezer covered for up to 3 months. It will take a full day to thaw so be sure to set aside enough time if wanting to use it.